This is my first post and i am going to tell you how to clear GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) and that too without any coaching.
The first question that might be coming to your mind is – How the hell do i know that?
So, the answer is – Through my experience. While i was in my third year of college, i got AIR 186 in GATE 2011 without much sweating. Again in GATE 2012, i got AIR 138 & that too without much effort. (Know more about me.) May be the rank was not “too” good, but it was decent enough for the level of effort that i put into it.
So, you can also get impressive GATE ranks without too much of toiling if you follow these steps-
1. Have crystal clear concepts – This is more of a pre-requisite than a step. Throughout your 2nd & 3rd year of B.tech, try to clear the concepts as much as possible. The clearer they will be, the easier you will find to sail through. Now you may ask me- What should be the level of clarity? Answer to which is- You should be able to teach the basics to someone. If you are unable to do that, you have to open the text-books once again.
2. Collect the arms & ammunition- Even if the title says 2 months, this step should be started at least 6 months before exam. So, around June-July, start collecting these books-
- Electrical- GATE Solved Paper Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical- GATE Solved Paper Mechanical Engineering
- ECE- GATE Solved Paper Electronics
2. GATE Refresher (Very Important)- This book contains a compendium of all important formulae and concepts related to your branch of engineering. It is important because it acts as quick notes for last minute revisions. (Read the review of a GATE refresher here.)
3. Textbooks (Either in print or e-books) of all the subjects which are in the syllabus of GATE. (Important)
4. If possible, sample papers for GATE/ any test series. (Not so important)
3. Start solving the problems- Yes! Start solving. Do not start reading the text books cover to cover. In 2 months time, it is a rare possibility that you will be able to do that. Now the steps for this step are-
- In the solved paper book, start with a chapter. Start attempting the questions. Most probably you will face difficulties in solving them. If you are missing on the formula or some single concept, open up the refresher & look after it. If you are now able to solve the problem easily, then proceed to next question.
- However, after reading the question if you feel like a stranger in a strange country on a strange planet, then you should open up the textbook. Read all the related topics to that question & do the practice problems. Now, return to the questions, are you able to do them? If yes, then proceed to the next question. If not, again read the topic & practice from textbook until you become comfortable with the topics & gain confidence in it.
- So, the step is – Questions from previous year -> read the topic -> practice the topic. This way you will do a selective & much more efficient & targeted preparation.
4. PRACTICE!! There must be some reason why we call doctor’s job as “practice”. Really, this word has the secret to success in any examination of the world. Stop reading your books/notes like novels, Open up a notebook, grab a pen & start practicing the questions. Make a target of at least 100 questions a day. If 2 months practice while in final year of college can lend me a decent rank, which ultimately, lead me to NTPC Ltd and later on to IES, imagine, what could you do if you are preparing full time for GATE.
Run..Start practicing.. Slot for AIR 1 of GATE 2018 is still open! 🙂
PS: If you have any queries, you can ask me in the comments. I would be glad to answer them.
NOTE: YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN THESE POSTS-
- Booklist for clearing GATE and IES in EE
- What should be the difference in preparation strategies for GATE & IES?
If you don’t want to miss my upcoming posts, click on the “follow” button in the bottom rightmost corner & enter your email id. You will receive the updates when the posts will appear.